Bound :: Chapter One

by Dr. Tick Tock

Chapter One

He could almost taste the air, thick with the festival’s smells; cooking meat and the spicy seasoning his region was known for, mingled with roasting vegetables, fresh bread, smoked wood, and the humid night hanging over him. He ducked through the crowd, a silent shadow among the moving, laughing throng of people. The stone street grew asperous under his leather boot, and the night air cooled his brow as the crowd lessened. He slipped easily between the smattering of people, gravel crunching under his heel, with his eyes turned to the river. It was black as onyx; the moonlight shimmered on the surface but was not enough to break through the rushing water and expose its insides. He leaned against the railing and murmured the traditional Equani prayer.

“Ko!” He turned at the familiar voice behind him, tearing his gaze from the water.

“Laiala,” he said quietly as his eyes met with his twin’s equally blue ones. They crinkled into a smile, and she moved to stand beside him, looking over the railing as he had and murmuring the Equani quickly.

“Making a wish?” she teased after she had finished, glancing back at him just in time to see the boy scowl. “You might want to get a moonflower for that.”

“We’re not six any more,” he retorted, crossing his arms and pressing his back against the railing. The cold metal penetrated through all four layers of his traditional festival garments and chilled his skin. He tensed against the discomfort, not giving in to it. “I don’t believe in that stuff.”

“But we’re going to need wishes more than anything next week,” Laiala murmured, watching cloud wisps trail past the moon. “I hope my Bind is a deer, like Kesha’s. They’re so beautiful and graceful and strong…” she trailed off, looking at Asher. He turned his gaze the other way, staying silent. “You want to be Bound to a dragon, don’t you?”

“Where’d you hear that?” he snorted, his heart quickening. He didn’t even need to see her to know she was smiling.

“Jate told me.” He could hear the smugness in her voice. Damn Jate. His friend could never keep his mouth shut, especially when it came to pretty girls.

He bit back another scowl to look at Laia. “So what? Everyone wants to be Bound to a dragon! I bet you do, too.” He crossed his arms, pressing them evocatively against his ribcage. Dragon Binds were rare, and the Binder was immediately expected to become something great. They always did. “Actually, I want my Bind to be a lion. Lions could kill your damn deer any day.” He turned and stalked off, back towards the street market, with the intent of leaving her shocked and offended by the river. Instead, she followed, gripping his robe so as not to lose him in the crowd. He pretended not to notice and walked on, chin raised in defiance. Jate was going home with a black eye tonight.

Her grip suddenly tightened, and she started tugging him over to one side. “Oh, look! Look, Ko! Let’s pick moonflowers!” She shoved her way through a wall of people, leaving Kodi to apologize to them, and stepped out into the large field. The flowers were in full blossom, their white petals splayed wide open to expose the pale blue glow emanating from the nectar. They dotted the field, which stretched a good half mile before meeting the edge of the woods. Children, with their parents hovering near them, were weaving through the grass to find the perfect moonflower to wish on.

“Laia,” Kodi hissed as she darted out into the field, still dragging him along behind her. He pulled out of her grasp and took a step back. “We’re not four.”

“Embarrassed?” teased his sister, wiggling her hips back and forth. “Come on, it’ll be fun! Don’t be a sourpuss tonight, Ko! No one’s going to make fun of you for picking one silly flower.” The boy sighed, watching her pout for several seconds, then reluctantly started into the field. Laiala grinned and clasped his hand between both of her own. “Besides, if they do, I’ll beat them up.” She laughed, and the sound tickled the inside of Kodi’s mouth until he was forced to laugh as well.

He tried his best to look as though he didn’t care, weaving nonchalantly through the other people and the knee-high grass. All the brightest glowing ones had been taken already, but he didn’t care about that. He looked for the smallest one, out of habit more than actual taste. He had always been sickly and abnormally small for most of his childhood. As a result, he’d always looked for the weakest flower, one that was like him.

Once Kodi’s health had improved, he grew several spans in one season, and now he even had to look down at his father. Still, he had continued to seek out the smallest, at least until he grew too old to pick moonflowers and send them off down the river.

Laiala wandered off, spotting a flower she must have liked, and Kodi hoped she didn’t get into a scuffle with some poor little kid over it. It didn’t take too long to spot his own- a tiny, half un-folded flower, so close to the ground that the grass shielded it from wind. He knelt next to it and loosened the plant from its roots, folding his hands gently over it. The blossom conformed perfectly with the curve of his palm. He stood and located Laiala, already darting towards him to drag him off to the next thing.

“I’m not putting it in the river,” he said as soon as she was within earshot. Her face fell. “I’ll keep it on my desk. Come on, we can both send off yours.” He hooked his arm through hers and started back towards the river, where moonflowers already dotted the surface as kids reached between the railing and dropped them onto the water. Laiala knelt, and he reluctantly followed suit, glancing around to make sure no one he knew was watching. Cupping the flower between their two hands, they lowered it as far as they could and released it onto the water. It was immediately rushed away, another glowing orb among hundreds. They straightened, watching it even after it became identical to the others, and then molded into one patch of blue and white.

Laiala sighed, standing up. “Come on, we ought to head home. Mother’s making Naesi for us.” As if she needed to tell him; everyone always had Naesi during the Moonflower Festival. Kodi stood as well, transferring his diminutive flower to one hand so he could comb his hair with the other.

“Go on without me, Lai. I forgot to buy something I wanted. I’ll catch up with you, alright?” He smiled, but she pursed her lips back at him knowingly. He could never keep anything from Laiala. After a moment’s hesitation she gave a slight nod and stretched up to kiss him, then started off down the street. He watched her until she disappeared into the throng, then turned and started off to a less populated area of the festival.

Kodi knelt beside the railing, cupping the moonflower in his hand. The moon was low on the horizon, and all the booths had closed and the crowds disintegrated. He stretched his arms as far as he could through the metal bars, until his chest and face were pressed to them, and dropped the flower into the raging current. “Please Bind me to a dragon,” he whispered as the water tore the flower off in another direction. He used to chase after his moonflower, running with it until the current outran him and he had to slow and catch his breath. Now he simply sat back on his heels and watched until it disappeared completely from view; until even the faint blue glow, usually prominent against the dark water, was swallowed into the night. Then he stood and, filled with a hope he would never admit, darted off down the street of empty booths, his leather soles making muffled thumps against the flat stone.

Please read:

[url]Chapter Two Coming Soon[/url]

Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:06 am
Dr. Tick Tock says...

Ohhh! Many many many thanks for the critique! It was amazingly helpful! I never noticed my long, adjective-suffocated sentences before, but I definitely see your point. I think it has something to do with my usual tendency to rant while speaking/writing freely.

I just want to make a note on the twin thing- my friend pointed out the over-done twin bit in fantasies to me, and I was fully aware of it. However, I don't plan on Laiala being a major character (though you can never tell when and how your characters will turn on you). She was actually going to be Asher's crush, but I needed her to be in his home for some reason for a certain scene, so I changed her to being his sibling. And since I still needed her to get Bound the same time Asher does, she had to be the same age. Thus, twins. (See what I told you about rants? Sorry.)

Asher's friend, Jate, is actually the second major character for the majority of the book, because the two of them leave home (and Laiala) behind. So no, this isn't one of those "twins prophesized to save the world!" plots. She's just his sister.

Again, sorry about the rant. I should put some warning in my signature or something. "Doctor is prone to rants. Slap her when she starts rambling." But thank you, again, for your critique. I love getting comments and compliments, but what really excites me is seeing a bunch of quotes on the page! No, that's not sarcasm. I rarely get to share my work, and I love hearing what others have to say to improve me!

On one other note- I really had no idea how to make "your" possessive. Is there really no apostrophe? That seems weird to me, for some reason. I was probably taught wrong by one of my less intelligent teachers, and it stuck with me through all the years I've never used "your" possessively. Hm. Ending rant.

EDIT: One other thing (sorry, sorry!); me and my friends always wiggle our hips teasingly. Maybe it's just something New Englanders do? It's basically just jutting your bum out, without leaning forward, and moving it back and forth a couple times... it's so natural to me, I never thought anyone could be confused by it! I'll definitely have to keep that in mind.

Fantasy- sorry I didn't reply to your post. I feel as though it's cheating to post in your own thread unless you really have something important to say. Because it gives you reviews (I think) and bumps up your thread, which seems unfair. Maybe that's just me. But thanks for commenting =]. And yes, I knew you would look at my story. That was just formality, heh. Don't kill me.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:27 am
Bickazer wrote a review...

Hi, Doctor, here's the review (at last!). ^^

He could almost taste the air, thick with the festival’s smells; cooking meat and the spicy seasoning his region was known for, mingled with roasting vegetables, fresh bread, smoked wood, and the heat of all the bodies packed together.

This is a very strong and vivid opener, and throws me right into the scene, which I think is what you wanted to accomplish. ^^ What I love more is that you chose to start with the sense of smell--too often writers (I confess myself guilty...) forget about other senses besides sight and hearing.

The only thing I'd suggest changing is make that semicolon into a colon, and perhaps removing the "heat of the bodies" part, because I tend to think of tons of people packing together as smelling not too nice, which is at odds with your image of the festival as a cheerful occasion. But it's your call.

The stone street turned to gravel under his leather boot, and the night air cooled his brow as the crowd lessened. He slipped easily between the smattering of people, gravel crunching under his heel

The repetition of "gravel" is bothersome, and the first part doesn't quite make sense--are his boots grinding the stone into gravel (some seriously hard boots, then!), or does the street turn from paved stone to gravel?

It was black as onyx; the moonlight shimmered on the surface but was not enough to break through the rushing water and expose its insides.

"Expose its insides" is an interesting, but weird and rather discomfiting, image. I know what you want to say; perhaps consider a slightly less icky way of saying it?

I do like this image, though. It's not over the top like imagery is in so many fantasy stories, but has a poetic lilt to it. Best of all, I can see it, perfectly.

He leaned against the railing and murmured the traditional Equani prayer.

I love this. You introduce a little worldbuilding detail--this prayer--in a seamless manner, like the reader should already be familiar with it. It helps draw the reader deeper into the world you've created than if you just did a clumsy infodump. Nicely done.

“Asher!” He turned at his name, tearing his gaze from the water.
“Laiala,” he said quietly as his eyes met with his twin’s equally blue ones.

Meh, I'm not quite liking Laila's introduction. It's a bit sparse and because of that it doesn't make much sense--I had to read this twice before I realized that someone was being introduced. Maybe you were trying for subtlety, but you went a bit too far in that direction. Show Laiala actually coming up to him, maybe describe her a little bit (but don't description dump).

The cold metal penetrated through all four layers of his traditional festival wardrobe, and chilled his skin as though he was pressing naked flesh to it.

These two clauses are essentially repeating the same idea--scrap the second one. I like the first one better because it slips in one of those little worldbuilding details and doesn't hammer the point in.

He bit back another scowl, straightening and looking at Laia. “So what? Everyone wants to be Bound to a dragon! I bet you do, too.” He crossed his arms, pressing them tightly against his ribcage.

I have this problem too, so I perfectly sympathize, but you're over-describing Asher's physical actions. It's good to see what the characters are doing, but we don't have to see every minute motion they're making.

“Actually, I want my Bind to be a lion. Lions could kill your damn deer any day.” He turned and stalked off, back towards the street market, with the intent of leaving her standing by the river, shocked and offended. Instead, she followed, gripping his robe so as not to lose him in the crowd. He pretended not to notice and walked on, chin raised in defiance. Jate was going home with a black eye tonight.

I like what this paragraph shows of Asher's character, especially how his embarrassment makes him contrary. Different people react to the same emotion in different ways, which I think you've portrayed very well--the temptation would be to show him hesitant and nervous, but his anger defines him better as a character.

I don't like the phrasing "with the intent of", though. It's overly verbose and rather awkward, ruining the otherwise easy flow you've got going here.

She shoved her way through a wall of people, leaving Asher to apologize quickly to them, and stepped out into the large field.

The "quickly" isn't necessary here.

The moonflowers were fully blossomed

The passive voice here is a bit...meh. I'm sure there's a better, more active way to phrase this, because as it is, "were fully blossomed" is a very awkward phrasing.

Children, with their parents hovering near them, were weaving through the grass, trying to find a perfectly shaped moonflower to make their wish on.

Too long a sentence. The entire last clause ("trying to find...") is especially bothersome because it's just repetition of what you've already implied previously.

“Embarrassed?” His sister teased, wiggling her hips back and forth.

Er...wiggling her hips? It's a weird image, and doesn't seem very teasing to me...seems more like she's trying to dance or something.

Laiala grinned and followed, pressing her palm against his and clasping his hand.

Again, you hav etoo many actions happening here. You can cut out the "followed" and the "pressing her palm" part. Just have her take his hand; the image is the same.

She laughed, and the sound tickled the inside of Asher’s mouth until he was forced to laugh as well.

Nice image; I've never thought of laughs tickling before, but now that I think about it, that's true.

simply weaving nonchalantly

Ack, too many adverbs! One of those, or best of all, both, will have to go. Try to use the least amount of adverbs you possibly can.

All the brightest glowing ones had been taken already, of course, but he didn’t care about that.

A few superfluous words here. "Of course" and "about that" aren't necessary, and the phrasing "brightest glowing" is a bit odd, but maybe that's just me. *shrug*

He had always been sickly when he was younger, and had been abnormally small for most of his childhood, as the result.

More unecessary words here. The entire second clause can be condensed with the first: "He'd always been sickly and abnormally small for most of his childhood". Good prose says the most in the least amount of words.

Laiala wandered off, spotting a flower she must have liked, and Asher hoped she didn’t get into a scuffle with some poor little kid over it.

Hahaha, nice characterization detail.

It didn’t take too long to spot his own- a tiny, half un-folded moonflower, so close to the ground that the grass shielded it from any wind.

It'd be better to say "from the wind", and I question the repetition of "moonflower". You can just say "flower" because we already know the only flowers you're referring to are moonflowers.

He knelt next to it and carefully pulled the plant from its roots, folding his hands gently over it.

More overuse of adverbs. Think of using a single strong verb instead of a weaker verb that needs to be supported by an adverb. The "carefully pulled" could easily be "eased", for example.

The blossom fit in perfectly with the curve of his palm.

Once again, watch the adverbs. And I don't think "fit in" is correct in this context; the "in" isn't necessary. But you can find a better verb than "fit" I'm sure.

He stood and located Laiala, already darting towards him, ready to drag him off to the next thing.

Though I like the "next best thing" as it displays more of Laiala's character, this sentence has a bit of an awkward feel to it, like too much is happening. I feel there's too many clauses and they're not really saying anything different. The second one can be removed entirely or merged with the third.

Her face fell.

I like the brevity of this, but I have to question why. You haven't established Laiala as being particularly keen on the idea of putting the flowers in the river; yes, she does want to, but not strongly enough to justify such a disappointed reaction.

“I’ll keep it on my desk. Come on, we can both send off your’s.”

...well, I've certainly never "your's" before...I have seen "your" used instead of "you're" and vice versa, but this has to be the first time I've seen anyone try making "your" (already a possessive) into more of a possessive...

Anyway, all I'm saying is delete the apostrophe.

He hooked his arm through hers

Excellent imagery there. I've never thought of linking arms in that way before, but it's very applicable, and low-key.

as kids reached between the bars

You haven't mentioned a railing before (at least I don't think you have), so the mention of "bars" is jarring.

Laiala knelt next to the railing, looking up at him, and he reluctantly knelt as well, glancing around to make sure no one he knew was watching.

Too huge a sentence! A lot of that comes from, once again, you over-describing your characters' actions. All the looking and glancing, in particular, is off-putting.

Balancing her moonflower between their two hands, they lowered it as far as they could and released it onto the water.

Wait...are they lowering the moonflower together? I think that's what you're trying to convey, but it's not entirely clear from the outset.

They straightened, watching it even after it became identical to the others, and they couldn’t tell which was which any more.

You're repeating the same thought again--the moonflowers are all identical. It'd be more effective if you noted that the moonflowers were so far away, they became identical, instead of repeating the idea.

He smiled casually, but she pursed her lips back at him knowingly.

Watch it with the adverbs.

It was impossible to keep anything from Laiala.

The passive voice here doesn't quite work; "He could never keep anything from Laiala", maybe? One way or the other, activate this sentence.

After a moment’s hesitation, she gave a slight nod, stretched up to kiss him, then started off down the street, waving back to him.

Too many actions in a sentence again...or maybe it's all the commas. Either way, this sentence should be split or shortened.

and dropped the flower into the death black waters.

"Death black" doesn't really cut it for the description of the river; the connotation is far too negative for the positive, light-hearted air the festival has. It makes the dropping of the flower seem ominous, which is fine if you were intending for that, but not if the mood you're really intending is a hopeful one.

the current tore the flower off in its direction.

I read this sentence several times and I still don't understand what's supposed to be happening it it.

He used to chase after his moonflower, running with it as far as he could, until the current outran him and he had to slow and catch his breath.

More extraneous words. "As far as he could," can be cut for a much more easily flowing sentence.

Now he simply sat back on his heels and watched until it disappeared completely from view,

Too many adverbs! I'd say cut the "simply", and you can probably find a way to get rid of the "completely".

Then he stood and, filled with a hope he would never admit to

You don't need the "to".

his leather soles making muffled thumps against the flat stone.

I like the parallelism here with the footsteps earlier in the story. It gives the chapter a nice sense of closure and well-rounded-ness, almost as if everything has gone full circle.

Overall thoughts:

I loved this. Simply loved this. In my honest opinion, this is one of the best pieces I've had the fortune of reading on YWS. It's well-crafted, already has a strong plotline and memorable characters, and the narrative voice is fully in control and perfectly fits the story. Best of all, the world you've built feels real. Well-done worldbuilding is very difficult to do, and you've no idea how many stories I've seen on YWS that simply go "There is this world [X] different from our own, on [X] magicians live and fight with spirits they summon, there are 13 different kinds of magicians, yadda yadda". You never go down the infodump route and yet I know quite a bit about your world already--people are Bound to creatures, dragons are viewed as prestigious, they have this festival and the moonflower ritual, etc. All of this was presented through the narrative and augmented the action, instead of halting it. You clearly know your world very well. There isn't an inconsistent or bizarre detail in sight.

It's telling that the only critiques I really had were prose nitpicks, because by and large the plot is perfect. You've set up your protagonist, you've set up his desires and a conflict (he wants a dragon, but is too ashamed to admit it). You've given him and his sister, the other major character, strong and distinct personalities; I like them both and they both feel like real people. My only complaint about their relationship is minor: I question why they have to be twins. IMHO (and this is seriously just my neuroses speaking, feel free to ignore me), twin main characters are overdone in fantasy and generally not done that well (I speak as one who has a twin sister of her own, so it pains me to see innacurate depictions of twins). It's more that there tends to be a competition aspect between twins, which tends to be glossed over for a "psychic eternal connection" kind of thing in fantasy. Granted, I can't speak for fraternal twins, and again, this is just really only my opinion.

I'm impressed, too, by how controlled your prose is. Aside from a few slip-ups ("your's"...), there isn't a misspelling or egregious grammar error in sight. Your usage of simple but effective imagery is a marvel to read in this age of either cliche-ridden, insultingly informal YA fantasy, or overblown purple high fantasy. The prose feels developed, and mature. It was definitely a very smooth read, which is wonderful for me because most of the works I review aren't. That's part of why I was able to finish this review so quickly. ^^

Granted, you do have some prose issues--most notably a tendency for long, rambling sentences consisting of a lot of clauses, not always conencted, strung together; and over-description of what the characters are doing. Since these are problems that I have too, I sympathize completely. It's nothing a few rewrites won't fix. You also tend to use quite a few unnecessary words (what my English teacher calls lard), as well as adverbs; remember, when you go back and edit, to tighten and economize as much as possible. It helps to read the work aloud. In a piece such like this, where most of the prose flows smoothly and naturally, it'll make the rough spots even more apparent.

All in all, excellent work--a definite gold star. I can't wait to read the rest.

PM me if you have any questions, and the best of luck in your endeavors. ^^

Livinginfantasy wrote a review...

Well, you PMed me and said you had something up, and that I didn't have to read it or anything...
But c'mon, did you really expect not to read it?

You know Doc, there's one thing I'll never forget about you and your writing... you create new realms. I feel like I'm in some sort of different world, and not in front of computer anymore. Like Midnight said, you describe the setting so well, and you really want to keep reading just to know what it's all about... it's very compelling and new, which is something wonderful that you bring to the table.

The opening was amazing by the way.

So, I don't have much to say, but I do have one tiny nitpick:

The cold metal penetrated through all four layers of his traditional festival wardrobe, and chilled his skin [s]as though he was pressing naked flesh to it[/s].

Alright, by the way you phrased the sentence, I think your audience already gets the impression that the metal is cold and felt as if he put his bare flesh to it... you mentioned it chilling his skin. So, I'd cut out that last part of the sentence, so it doesn't sound so redundant.

Keep 'em coming!

Dr. Tick Tock says...

Wow! Thank you so much for the critique! ... Are we allowed to respond back to them? Oh, well...

I changed "the sweating flesh of the sellers behind their booths" to "the heat of so many bodies packed together". I think I might have made it worse though... do tell me whether that sounds more appropriate, or is it similarly repelling? (Similarly repelling? ... That sounds so strange.)

I cut off the extra 'blue' in that sentence. I actually disliked that phrasing a lot, but I couldn't think of how to change it! Thanks so much! I guess I'm a bit ditsy if I couldn't think of something so simple.

I changed "The cold metal went right through" to "The cold metal penetrated through". That's the best word I could think of.

As for Jate and Asher's relationship... well, we'll not get into that. They have a strange friendship. If Jate isn't introduced in the next chapter, he'll be in the second.

Thanks so much for the review and kind words! I strive to keep my readers happy! (Right now they're mostly imaginary, heh). I'll private message you when I put the next part up (since it will be in this thread, and not in a new one). Is that too obnoxious?

lxtmidnight wrote a review...

This looks interesting! I think I'll take a bite:

Dr. Tick Tock wrote:He could almost taste the air, thick with the festival’s smells; cooking meat and the spicy seasoning his region was known for, mingled with roasting vegetables, fresh bread, smoked wood, and the sweating flesh of the sellers behind their booths.

I like this sentence; it's very sensory. The only thing that bothers me is "sweating flesh of the sellers". You've got all these yummy smells and stuff, and then you've got the tasty scent of...flesh. Maybe a different word might be better here.

Dr. Tick Tock wrote:“Laiala,” he said quietly as his [s]blue [/s]eyes met with his twin’s equally blue ones. They crinkled into a smile, and she moved to stand beside him, looking over the railing as he had and murmuring the Equani quickly.

I think it sounds better with only one blue. With two, they weighed down the sentence.

Dr. Tick Tock wrote:“We’re not six any more,” he retorted, crossing his arms and pressing his back against the railing. The cold metal went right through all four layers of his traditional festival wardrobe, and chilled his skin as though he was pressing naked flesh to it. He tensed against the discomfort, not giving in to it. “I don’t believe in that stuff.”

You've got so much visual description, so many sensory details that went right through sticks out to me. I can't think of any good replacements on the spot, but maybe some form of the word "sting" or "cut".

Dr. Tick Tock wrote:

A neat concept. I've never read anything like this before, and originality is hard to come by, especially in fantasy works!

Dr. Tick Tock wrote: Jate was going home with a black eye tonight.

Ouch, that's harsh, considering that everyone wants a Dragon.

This is a rather short review....which means there wasn't much to criticize. I'm sort of in awe: your sense of setting is amazing! This is a whole new culture I'm reading about, and the way you describe it is so vivid I want to read on 'til the end. As for character, I've already got a good sense of them, even Jate, who hasn't even made an appearance.

I hope I don't sound gushy, but really, this is really, really good, and I don't really say that often. I hope you post more, because I'll be looking forward to it :D

-LxTMidnight

I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart; I am, I am, I am.
— Sylvia Plath